Filipino American National Historical Society
Rio Grande Chapter (FANHS RG)
A 501(c)(3) non-profit organization
email: [email protected]
FANHS National Conference in 2022August 11 – 13, 2022, Seattle University, Seattle, WA: FANHS National Conference
Join us and meet members of the Filipino American National Historical Society (FANHS) all over the US in Seattle for the 40th Anniversary of FANHS. Deadline for submitting papers: Jan. 27, 2022.
FANHS mission: To promote understanding, education, enlightenment, appreciation, and enrichment through the identification, gathering, preservation, and dissemination of the history and culture of Filipino Americans in the United States. The headquarters is located in Seattle, WA. As of 2018, there are 36 FANHS chapters in the US.
Our founder, Dr. Dely Alcantara, passed away on Nov. 3, 2019. More on her passing: Dely.
FANHS RG Founders
FANHS RG, the 20th chapter of FANHS, was founded in 1998. For the history of FANHS Rio Grande, read article written by founder, Dr. Dely Alcantara: Making Invisible Visible 2000.
FANHS RG (2020) officers are:
- President: Pearl King
- Vice President: Dr. Ted Jojola
- Secretary: Emilie Underwood
- Treasurer: Cora Romillo
Executive Committee Members (Past/Present Presidents)
- Dely Alcantara (co-founder) -1998-2000 (passed away in 2019)
- David Galbiso (co-founder) – 2001-2002 (out of state)
- Evelio Sabay (charter member) – 2003-2004
- Tessie Greenfield 2005-2006
- Emilie Underwood 2007-2008
- Pearl King 2009-present
MEMBERSHIP: To apply for membership, print form and send it with the check (payable to FANHS RG) to the above address: FANHS RG Membership Form 2015.
Fil Am Experience in NM with cover eBook version
- Pamana Awards since 2000 (biennial). PAMANA Awards recognizes Filipinos for their contribution. With this, we also record the history of Filipinos in New Mexico. We’ve held nine Pamana events until 2019.
We celebrated our 9th Pamana Heritage Awards in October 2019 as part of the Filipino American History Month: Click: Pamana 2019. We skipped the next Pamana event in 2021 due to the pandemic. Please stay tuned for the next Pamana.
- Representing NM in FANHS National Conferences.
- Oral History Lecture Series.
October is Filipino American History Month. Due to the pandemic, many chapters of FANHS including Rio Grande did not celebrate. However, view a video from the Mayor of New York City Bill de Blasio recognizing the contribution of nurses in NY: IMG_6675
- Book/eBook: The Filipino American Experience in New Mexico. Click here to download PDF (file of eBook version with less photos): Fil Am Experience in NM with cover eBook version
- Pamana Heritage Awards (& Manoa Youth Awards)
Past projects and publications: FANHS RG Past & Present Projects. Also read: Filipinos in New Mexico
Affiliated with or Participated in projects/activities of the following:
- Filipino American Foundation of New Mexico
- Filipino American Community Council (NM)
- Bataan Corregidor Memorial Foundation of New Mexico (FANHS RG and FAFNM co-sponsor the annual Bataan Ceremony with the Bataan veterans. Also read about the historic Memorial at the Bataan Park: Bataan Memorial 2002
- Asian American Association of New Mexico Oral History Project: Asian American Legacy Stories
Like Us on: