Filipino American Foundation of New Mexico (FAFNM)
A 501(c)(3) non-profit organization
P. O. Box 94146
Albuquerque, NM 87199-4146
FAFNM’s mission is to promote the recognition and maintenance of the distinctive values and historical heritage of Filipinos while striving to enhance the well being of Filipinos through education, health and economic services. In furtherance of this mission, FAFNM shall:
- promote an understanding and appreciation of Filipino culture through the development of appropriate educational materials, maintaining a bureau of cultural speakers and performers and advocating and supporting a program of Filipino studies in the community; and
- facilitate the promotion of the general well being of Filipinos in New Mexico.
Brief history of the formation of Filipino organizations based in Albuquerque and surrounding areas. The Filipino American Association of New Mexico (FAANM) was formed in 1975 as a social organization (not a 501c3). Among the first three presidents were Cris Underwood, Bert Gatan and the late Eugene Zafra. The last president was Mr. Fras Sabay. They introduced Santacruzan (Chito and Eugene Zafra), Independence Day picnic, Christmas parties, Cultural group, and raised money for building fund (Thanks to Ron Saludo). In 2004, it was renamed to Filipino American Foundation of New Mexico when it became a 501c3 non-profit organization. The building fund was used to start the Scholarship Funds. (Thanks to Adelfa Samson.) Many of the activities by the FAANM were continued by FAFNM. The list of Past Presidents of FAFNM is shown below. Other organizations such as the FANHS RG and FACC followed. (Compiled by Tessie Greenfield for this website, 2019.)
2020 Officers and Board of Directors
- President: Myrna Samson
- Vice President: Patrick Hepburn
- Secretary: Maricar Castro
- Treasurer: Gwynneth Carla
Other Board Members:
- Eva Cabiltes
- Melinda Hepburn
- Corazon Kennedy
- Pearl King
- Armeli Quezon
- Bonnie Rogers
Past Presidents of FAFNM
|2004||Dely Alcantara||2011-2012||Evelio Sabay|
|2005||Jim Custodio||2012||Chris Zafra|
|2006-2007||Roderick Ventura||2013-2014||Ligaya White|
|2008||Bing Skyiepal||2015-2016||Dely Alcantara|
|2009||Corazon Romillo||2017-2019||Gloria Kauz|
|2010||Myrna Samson||2020||Myrna Samson|
Mission: A person, family, or organization that supports the mission and pays membership dues may be a member of FAFNM. Members shall be admitted without regard to race, ethnic origin, age, religion, sex, disability, political beliefs, sexual reference or profession.
- Annual Membership Dues:
- $10 INDIVIDUAL (18 years +) (NOTE: Students applying for scholarship MUST update their membership to qualify for scholarship. See FAFNM Scholarship.)
- $15 FAMILY (includes spouse/partner and children younger than 18)
- Century: $200
Membership cycle: from July 1, current year to June 30 of the following year. Please renew your membership at our annual picnic/potluck in June (check events) when we have the membership drive. Your membership fee is vital to the continued success of our organization.
If you can’t attend, please renew or join by downloading form below:
PLEASE DOWNLOAD MEMBERSHIP FORM: FAFNM Membership Form rev2014A.
Benefits of Members:
- Connecting with Filipino Americans in many events and activities.
- Learning culture, history, and heritage through the various activities.
- Availing of college scholarship.
- Providing support to the Filipino American community.
- Availing of referrals to social services
Members meet three times a year in Albuquerque: picnic in June, meeting at the election (usually a week before Christmas Party) and Christmas party. Members of committees meet separately, as needed.
To view past events sponsored by FAFNM, click:
- College Scholarship: Every year FAFNM gives college scholarship funds to deserving active and participating members. The amount depends upon the funds raised for that year and the number of students who qualify. See FAFNM Scholarship. NOTE: The Caroling Group raises funds for scholarship every year.
Special Events (Visit: Events)
- Santacruzan (annual, third Saturday in May), San Felipe de Neri, Old Town Plaza. (Santacruzan was introduced by Chito and her late husband, Eugene Zafra in 1977.)
- Picnic for Bataan Veterans (April),Bataan Park.
- Picnic: Membership Drive (also Independence Day/Dr. Jose Rizal Day).
- Simbang Gabi (usually Thursdays in December) with a Filipino priest (Fr. Joel Bugas) at the Sangre de Cristo Catholic Church.
- Christmas Party.
The Outreach Committee provides various support to the Filipino American community.
- Veterans Affair: Starting in 2018, FAFNM sponsors picnic in honor of the Bataan Veterans and members of the military (retired/active duty) at the Bataan Park. (The first picnic was held on April 14, 2018.) In December, we help in lighting the luminaries at the Bataan Park.
- Consular: FAFNM hosts the Outreach by the Philippine Consulate General that comes to New Mexico (in Rio Rancho or Albuquerque). Services include passport (new/renewal), dual citizenship, and civil registries (change of name, marriages, births, & deaths). For Filipinos in NM and surrounding states such as Colorado, Arizona, Oklahoma and Texas, this saves them an expensive trip to Houston (around $400 round trip air fare).
- Fund Raising:
- Pista sa Nayon (to be held every other year) for FAFNM activities including scholarship funds.
- Caroling (for scholarship funds)
- Grants: Coordinating with Filipino American Community Council (FACC).
- Nomination/Election: Nominations for BOD (October) and Election of Officers (December)
- Membership: Membership drive (June)
Like Us on