Filipino American National Historical Society
Rio Grande Chapter (FANHS RG)
A 501(c)(3) non-profit organization
FANHS mission: To promote understanding, education, enlightenment, appreciation, and enrichment through the identification, gathering, preservation, and dissemination of the history and culture of Filipino Americans in the United States. The headquarters is located in Seattle, WA. As of 2016, there are 30 FANHS chapters in the US.
FANHS RG, the 20th chapter of FANHS, was founded in 1998. For the history of FANHS Rio Grande, read article written by founder, Dr. Dely Alcantara: Making Invisible Visible 2000.
FANHS RG (2017) officers are:
- President: Pearl King
- Vice President: Dr. Dely Alcantara
- Secretary: Emilie Underwood
- Treasurer: Cora Romillo
Executive Committee Members (Past/Present Presidents)
- Dely Alcantara (co-founder) -1998-2000
- David Galbiso (co-founder) – 2001-2002
- Evelio Sabay (charter member) – 2003-2004
- Tessie Greenfield 2005-2006
- Emilie Underwood 2007-2008
- Pearl King 2009-present
The founding members (from left): Connie Perkins, Myrna Samson, Chol Aquino, Dr. Dely Alcantara (founding president), Vir and Ruth Velasco, David Galbiso, Evelio Sabay and Josephine Stevens.
To apply for membership, print form and send it with the check (payable to FANHS RG) to the above address: FANHS RG Membership Form 2015.
Activities in 2017:
April 11, Tues, Filipino Culture Week, UNM Gallup. See photos and information: UNM Gallup.
Oct. 21, Sat. 2017 Pamana Awards and Filipino American History Month, Hotel Cascada, 2:00 pm. Click: 2017 Pamana.
Major activities in 2016:
- April 23, Halle Manoa (Money Concepts Bldg.), 619 San Mateo NE (between Lomas and Copper). Presentation: Kapwa: Connection as Resilience by Mila Anguluan, PhD.
- June 22-25, FANHS National Conference in New York was attended by FANHS RG President Pearl King, VP Dr. Dely Alcantara and members, Ligaya White and Dr. Ted Jojola.
- NOTE: To see list of Past Oral History Meetings: Oral-History-Lecture-Series
Major projects in 2014-2015:
- Book/eBook: The Filipino American Experience in New Mexico
- Pamana Heritage Awards (& Manoa Youth Awards)
Our past events: Sakadas Oral History, the brochure cover of the Manila Galleon Trade Exhibit at the National Hispanic Cultural Center and 2012 FANHS Conference in Albuquerque which FANHS RG hosted.
Affiliated with or Participated in projects/activities of the following:
- Bataan Corregidor Memorial Foundation of New Mexico (FANHS RG and FAFNM co-sponsor the annual Bataan Ceremony with the Bataan veterans. Also read about the historic Memorial at the Bataan Park: Bataan Memorial 2002
- Asian American Association of New Mexico Oral History Project: Asian American Legacy Stories
- Southwest Oral History Association
Like Us on: