Pista sa Nayon 2016
The Pista sa Nayon (Town Festival) in the Philippines is a festival in the center of the town to celebrate a good harvest. It is also the time to focus on their family, neighbors and friends. It is usually held on the same day when the town celebrates the feast day of their patron saint.
In Albuquerque, the Pista sa Nayon is an annual project of the Filipino American Foundation of New Mexico (FAFNM) to raise funds for our non-profit organization. In four of the numerous Pista events, the focus was on the essential Filipina. (Other Pista events were celebrated with food tasting and cultural shows.) It was open to Filipino American female, single or married, 18 years and older and willing to raise funds and promote the FAFNM. Criteria were poise, personality & intelligence (30%), talent (10%) and fund raising ability (60%). In 1994, the Pista sa Nayon queen was Binibini (Bb) Linnet Herrera, 1997- Pearl King, 2011 – Gloria Kauz, and 2013 – Brandi Lopez-Flores.
This year, the Mutya ng New Mexico went to Lina Rollins. The runners up were: Christa Harner (first place, Mutya ng Luzon) and Elflor Biddle Lingren (second place, Mutya ng Visaya). There was no 4th candidate who could have been the Mutya ng Mindanao. Lina was born in Cebu City and has been living in NM for over 20 years. She is a wife and mother of three and works as a personal banker. Christa was born in Albuquerque and attended at UNM where she pursued a degree in health and education. Christa represented NM at the 2015 Miss Philippines USA in Los Angeles. Elflor was originally in Mindanao and moved to the US in 1990s. She is the proud mother of Elise and wife to Douglas. She volunteers to help children during her free time. We thank the candidates for their support.
The event was also attended by Mayor Greggory Hull of Rio Rancho. It was held on Aug. 6, 2016 at the Hotel Cascada, Albuquerque, New Mexico.
To get full image of a photo, double click on the photo. It will show album size. Double click again to give you a larger image.
- Rod Ventura & Kristelle Siarza (emcees)
- Kelsie Smith (singer)
- Serrina Harner (singer)
- Kenna, Krisca, Kim & Kyle Salazar (singers)
- Movement Studio Dancers: Nancy Latuja, Catherine Simpson, and Rachelle Ray.
- FAFNM Cultural Dance Group
- Ednalyn Garcia (solo dancer – Pandanggo sa Ilan)
- Joshua & Jordyn Caintic, Mia and Kai Alter (dancers: Itik Itik)
- Angelica & Gabriela Velez (singers – Lupang Hinirang/dancers – Oasioas)
- Miracle McCastle, Kristal Limalima and Sandy Guamos (dancers – Oasioas)
- Malaya Everette (kulintang musician), Jasmine and Justine Castro (kulintang musicians/dancers of Oasioas)
- Sean Alter, Marc Castro, Angelo Egrubay (asst. choreographer), Lyle Leonen, Latrel, Lester, & Zeke Racca, Franz and John Soriano (dancers – Ati Atihan)
Thank you to the numerous volunteers who made this event possible including Senlin & Carminia Garver and Lani Velez for these amazing photos.
Compiled by Tessie Greenfield, co-administrator for the website.
Back to HOME.