Pista sa Nayon 2016
The Pista sa Nayon (Town Festival) in the Philippines is a festival in the center of the town to celebrate a good harvest. It is also the time to focus on their family, neighbors and friends. It is usually held on the same day when the town celebrates the feast day of their patron saint.
In Albuquerque, the Pista sa Nayon is an annual project of the Filipino American Foundation of New Mexico (FAFNM) to raise funds for our non-profit organization. In four of the numerous Pista events, the focus was on the essential Filipina. (Other Pista events were celebrated with food tasting and cultural shows.) It was open to Filipino American female, single or married, 18 years and older and willing to raise funds and promote the FAFNM. Criteria were poise, personality & intelligence (30%), talent (10%) and fund raising ability (60%). In 1994, the Pista sa Nayon queen was Binibini (Bb) Linnet Herrera, 1997- Pearl King, 2011 – Gloria Kauz, and 2013 – Brandi Lopez-Flores.
This year, the Mutya ng New Mexico went to Lina Rollins. The runners up were: Christa Harner (first place, Mutya ng Luzon) and Elflor Biddle Lingren (second place, Mutya ng Visaya). There was no 4th candidate who could have been the Mutya ng Mindanao. Lina was born in Cebu City and has been living in NM for over 20 years. She is a wife and mother of three and works as a personal banker. Christa was born in Albuquerque and attended at UNM where she pursued a degree in health and education. Christa represented NM at the 2015 Miss Philippines USA in Los Angeles. Elflor was originally in Mindanao and moved to the US in 1990s. She is the proud mother of Elise and wife to Douglas. She volunteers to help children during her free time. We thank the candidates for their support.
The event was also attended by Mayor Greggory Hull of Rio Rancho. (See list of acknowledgements and performers below.) It was held on Aug. 6, 2016 at the Hotel Cascada, Albuquerque, New Mexico.
We are eternally grateful to our volunteers, sponsors and advertisers for their support:
- Sennheiser: Evolution wireless D1 brings digital wireless microphones. www.sennheiser.com/D1.
- Alma Saul of Berkshire Hathaway Home Service, associate broker/realtor. email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Print Stop, Mary Ann Lacida: One-Stop Shop for all your printing and promotional needs. www.theprintstopllc.com.
- Talin Market: www.talinmarket.com
- ASI Active Solutions: providing services to people with developmental disabilities. www.activesolutionsinc.com.
- Hotel Cascada: 2500 Carlisle Blvd. NE, Albuquerque.
- ARI Electric, Dave Goodman. Certified contractor/journeyman. 505-459-7388.
- Backstreet Grill, 1919 Old Town Rad Suite 6. www.backstreetgrillot.com.
- Bob’s Sewing and Vacuum Center, www.bobssewnvac.com.
- Bubblicitealicious: 2325 San Pedro Dr. NE, Ste 1D. Serving Filipino food
- Candice Jewelry Bazaar. 1301 Lousiana NE, Albuquerque, NM 87108.
- Cottonwood Dental. 3613 State Highway 528, Suite D, Albuquerque.
- Dumpling House, 88 Lousiana Blvd. SE (Ta Lin Market), Albuquerque and 505 Cerritos Rd., Santa Fe.
- Gardens of New Mexico Restaurant and Cantina.
- Filipino American National Historical Society Rio Grande. www.pinoy-newmexico.com (click on FANHS RG).
- Floors capes: Floor covering, window treatments, & design services. 8515 Paseo Alameda NE, Albuquerque.
- Hatch New Mexico Chili. www.nmchilijustaddwater.com.
- Jam’s Voice Studio: 505-489-4712.
- Larry H. Miller Toyotal www.toyotaabq.com.
- Le Chantilly and Cafe, 8216 Menaul NE (Hoffman Shopping Center), Albuquerque.
- Lesmen for audio, lighting and video. www.lesmens.com.
- Lucia Misa O’Connor, attorney at law. www.luciamoconnor.com.
- Mail Box Stores, Marilen O’Dell, 2003 Southern Blvd SE #102, Rio Rancho. email@example.com.
- Melba’s Flowers, 5505 Osuna Rad. NE. www.melbasflowers.com.
- Roderick Deaguero: attorney at law, 505-243-6270.
- Seafood Kitchen, 301 Central Ave NE, Albuqerque. www.99DegreesSeafoodKitchen.com.
- Milton’s: Serving breakfast and lunch, catering, 3361 Candelaria NE, Suite A, Albuquerque.
- Wagner. air conditioning, heating, plumbing, electrical and solar. www.wagnermechanical.com.
- St. Anthony’s Home Healthcare Services, LLC, 8500 Menaul NE, Albuquerque and 1930 Main St. NE Suite 8, Los Lunas. www.stanthonyshomehealth.com.
Committees: Chairman – Nelo Edition, Honorary Chairperson – Dely Alcantara
- Coronation Night Show/Pageant: Co-chairman – Betsy Custodio; Stage Production and Entertainment Coordinator – Jim Custodio, Cultural Presentation Coordinator – Mari Castro
- Candidates: Co-chairman – Pearl King, Search Operations Coordinator – Connie Perkins, Judging and Canvassing Coordinators – Gloria Kauz and Vanessa Alter.
- Marketing and Sales: Co-chairman – Cora Romillo, ticket sales/reception – Cayenne Farmer, Publicity and Promotions Coordinator – Kristelle Siarza, Assistang, Denise Gallegos. Souvenir Program Coordinator – Mary Ann Lacida, Asst. – Ellen Villager, Event Sponsors/Donors/Advertisers Coordinator – Cindi Aragon.
- Production Staff: Producer – Nelo Edition, Director – Betsy Custodio, Scriptwriters – Nelo Edilon, Betsy Custodio & Ligaya White, Choreographers – Tessie Greenfield and Cora Romillo, Asst. Choreographers – Angelo Egrubay and Mari Castro, Production Consultang – Nancy Latuja of Movement Dance Studios, Special Production Numbers – Betsy Custodio & Nancy Latuja, Set Design & Execution – Jim and Betsy Custodio & Nelo Edilon, Production Manager – Jim Custodio, Production Assts. Dominic Custodio & John Kuskowski, Stage Manager – Mari Castro.
- Technical Staff: Sound Director – Stefan Merkel of Sennheiser, Lights Director – Romeo Caintic, Lights Crew – Joseph, Michael, James-Benedict Custodio, Videography – Alden Bruce, DJ – James-Benedict Custodio.
- Souvenir Program Staff: Managing editor/Cover Design – Nelo Edilon, Editor/Writer/Layout & Graphics – Mari Castro, Cover Graphics Execution – The Print Stop.
To get full image of a photo, double click on the photo. It will show album size. Double click again to give you a larger image.
- Rod Ventura & Kristelle Siarza (emcees)
- Kelsie Smith (singer)
- Serrina Harner (singer)
- Kenna, Krisca, Kim & Kyle Salazar (singers)
- Movement Studio Dancers: Nancy Latuja, Catherine Simpson, and Rachelle Ray.
- FAFNM Cultural Dance Group
- Ednalyn Garcia (solo dancer – Pandanggo sa Ilan)
- Joshua & Jordyn Caintic, Mia and Kai Alter (dancers: Itik Itik)
- Angelica & Gabriela Velez (singers – Lupang Hinirang/dancers – Oasioas)
- Miracle McCastle, Kristal Limalima and Sandy Guamos (dancers – Oasioas)
- Malaya Everette (kulintang musician), Jasmine and Justine Castro (kulintang musicians/dancers of Oasioas)
- Sean Alter, Marc Castro, Angelo Egrubay (asst. choreographer), Lyle Leonen, Latrel, Lester, & Zeke Racca, Franz and John Soriano (dancers – Ati Atihan)
Thank you to the numerous volunteers who made this event possible including Senlin & Carminia Garver and Lani Velez for these amazing photos.
Compiled by Tessie Greenfield, co-administrator for the website.