Come and join us!
If you have any event or announcement of interest to Filipino Americans and Asians, please email information and photos if any to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will have the details as we get the information from the organizers. Please always check two weeks prior to event for any updates. Click on 2017 in Review for last year’s main events.
- Our beloved Atilano David (1921-2018), 97, passed away on August 25. To pay respect, please note of the following dates:
- Sept. 3, Mon (Labor Day), 3:00 pm. Novena (9th Day) for Mr. David, hosted by Myrna Samson email@example.com), 6419 Mendius Ave. NE, Albuquerque, NM 87109. People are welcome to bring a dish or drinks.
- 8, Sat. 8:30 am – Rosary followed by Funeral Service at 9:00 am St. Bernadette’s Church, 11509 Indian School Road NE, Albuquerque, NM 87112 (Call for direction. Tel. 298-7557). For a short video clip taken in 2017, click Al David.
- Tickets for Christmas Party (see photo of ticket for details and flyer at the bottom) are already available (since Aug. 28). Contact Gloria, 505-629-9474 or any of the FAFNM BOD. Please do not wait at the last minute. Tickets just like the Pista sa Nayon (Sept 22) have been sold out only two months after they were available. This may also be the case for the Christmas party so don’t wait.
- 22, Sat. Pista sa Nayon, a fund raising project of FAFNM, 6:00 pm, Inn at Rio Rancho, 1465 Rio Rancho Blvd. SE, Rio Rancho, NM 87124, Tel. 505-892-1700. TICKETS ARE SOLD OUT ALREADY. Contact Gloria 505-629-9474.
October – Filipino American History Month
- 20, Sat. 11 am – 2 pm. Oral History Lecture focusing on nurses. North Domingo Baca Multigenerational Center. FREE but please bring a dish or drinks. Sponsored by the Filipino American National Historical Society Rio Grande. Line up of speakers will be finalized in September. Contact Pearl at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 30 – deadline in submitting nominations for FAFNM Board of Directors.
- 14 to 18 – Conference: Society of Ethnomusicology, Albuquerque. Kulintang and Gamelan musicians (or anybody interested in ethnomusicology) are welcome to join. Five visiting professional kulintang musicians are willing to hold a workshop for our kulintang and gamelan musicians. Email Tessie at email@example.com if you are interested. If there is anybody willing to house them (we may split them up), please let Tessie know.
- Caroling Group (to raise money for scholarship funds) usually start rehearsing this month.
- 23 – FREE TAGALOG LESSONS on Youtube. Due to requests from parents about a Tagalog Class which we could not offer due to lack of committed volunteers or time for those taking it, puppetnettes will be having Tagalog lessons around 8 to 10 minutes long (using puppets) every week on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/puppetnettes starting Nov. 25 (Thanksgiving weekend). If you can’t view on this day, you can always watch it later. This will give learners an opportunity to learn Tagalog at their own time, pace and at no cost. Although with puppets, the lessons will appeal to children (2 to 8 years old), it is also good for teens and adults who want to learn short and repetitive lessons. It is meant for people on the go. We hope you encourage children to watch it on their computer or phone while waiting for their ride. We just encourage people to SUBSCRIBE to the puppetnettes channel. New lessons will be posted Fridays after Nov. 23, 5:00 pm, Mountain time. You can watch past lessons anytime. This is a project of T. J. Greenfield.
- 8, Christmas Party, Rio Rancho Inn, 6:00 pm. Sponsored by the Filipino American Foundation of New Mexico. See flyer below for details. Tickets are available since Aug. 28. See photo of ticket above.
- Simbang Gabi, usually Thursdays, 6:00 pm. Details to be announced.
Get your tickets to this event before the year ends. Click: Popejoy.