2017 in Review
Category : Uncategorized
The Cultural Dance Group of the Filipino American Foundation of New Mexico was dissolved to give different groups more autonomy. The following groups were formed: Ethan Sabay Folkloric Dance Group and the Filipino Performing Arts Group.
- UNM Gallup had the first Filipino Week and invited speakers from the Filipino American National Historical Society Rio Grande Chapter. Click on: UNM Gallup.
- The Bataan Veterans and the Filipino community commemorated 75th Anniversary of the Surrender of Bataan. Co-sponsored by the Bataan Corregidor Memorial Foundation of New Mexico, FAFNM and FANHS RG.
- The Filipino American Community Council completed a grant from the City Council during the recital at the Santacruzan 2017, Old Town Plaza.
3. Independence Day Picnic and FAFNM Membership Drive.
21. Wyndham Hotel. 8th Pamana Awards and Filipino American History Month sponsored by FANHS RG in cooperation with FACC. Click on Pamana 2017.
- 10, Sunday – Christmas Party, Induction of 2018 FAFNM Board of Directors, National Hispanic Cultural Center (Grand Hall). Project of FAFNM.
- Simbang Gabi at the Sangre de Cristo Church: Dec. 6, 14, and 21. Project of FAFNM.
FANHS RG has started recognizing the graduates from 2016 to 2017 at the Pamana Awards ceremony. We will soon create a Graduation Page for our youth in the future. Click on: The Graduates (see bottom of the page on Pamana).
- December 2017: Lyle Leonen, UNM, Physical Therapy.
Deaths (of Members, Relatives, and/or Friends of the Filipino community)
Anastasia Patino-Guerra (June 14, 1929 – August 23, 2017). We said goodbye to Nanay (we also call her Mamang), 88, who passed away in Rio Rancho. She’s the mother of Gloria Kauz, Pearl King and Lydia Diaz, grandmother of Princeton, Michael, Clovis and great great grandmother of Miracle.
Anna Karina Adaoag (1974-Aug. 29, 2017) passed away in Baguio Philippines. She is the daughter of Vicky Adaoag and sister of Dale Leonen and Marita Racca.
Patrick F. Tyrell (Dec. 18, 1951 – Sept. 1, 2017) passed away in Rio Rancho. Patrick and his wife, Maiya, are friends of the Filipino community, especially in Rio Rancho.
Trebor Divero (Sept. 2017) passed away in the Philippines. He is the father of Robert Divero, one of our DJs.
Florante Ayap, 44, passed away in the Philippines. He is the nephew of Cris Underwood.
Teresa Macagba, 87, Myrna Samson’s Mom (Maricar’s grandma) passed away in California on Nov. 17, 2017.
Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them. May they rest in peace, Amen.
Art Egrubay, in the Philippines (Christmas Eve). He is the father of Edna Garcia and grandfather of Angelo Egrubay.
Bido Agustin, in the Philippines (Dec.). He is the father of Mayette Luena.